Selected Resources for English Classes
Spring Semester 2018
Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors (Last name, first name, dates) and individual works are can be listed as subject headings.
- Thomas, Dylan, 1914-1953.
- Hammett, Dashiell, 1894-1961.
- Many subjects can take the add-on "in literature":
- Detectives in literature.
- Music in literature
- Also, many subject headings use a subdivision for criticism:
- --History and criticism [for inanimate subects]
- --Criticism and interpretation [for authors]
- e.g. Kerouac, Jack, 1922-1969 -- Criticism and interpretation.
Ywain (Legendary character) -- Romances -- History and criticism.
Library of Congress Classifications (a selected list)
PN General literature PR English literature PS American literature
Locating Books in Library Catalogs
- Scholarly Editions
- MLA Committee on Scholarly Editions
- General (Poetry)
- Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics. Princeton: Princeton UP, 2012.
- Companions to literature - published by Cambridge, Oxford, Routledge, and others, e.g.:
- The Cambridge companion to the Beats — Main Stacks PS228.B6 C35 2017
- The Routledge companion to Native American literature — Main Stacks PS153.I52 R68 2016
- A companion to the eighteenth-century English novel and culture — Main Stacks PR851 .C57 2005
- Literary Biography
- Dictionary of Literary Biography
- Short author biographies with particular attention to the interplay of their life events and their work as authors.
- New York Times - Historical File (1851-1999)
- Full text of the New York Times from the very beginning. Useful for contemporary accounts of late-nineteenth and twentieth century authors (especially, but not exclusively, U.S. authors). Look here for reviews, interviews and news stories on authors.
- For contemporary authors only: Nexis Uni.
- Lexis-Nexis includes the fulltext of many newspapers going back to about 1982. Search in the "News >> General News" and "News >> Arts & Sports" sections for your author.
- American National Biography
- Biographies of dead Americans, primarily those who have died since 1980. For earlier entries, see the Dictionary of American Biography Ref. E176 .D563
Indexes to periodicals for English Literature Research
See also: Scholarly v. Popular Articles
(1963- ) (Remote Access)
|Literature, languages, linguistics, and folklore from over journals and series published worldwide.|
Other useful indexes and databases
|Academic Search Complete||Indexes about 2000 periodicals -- both scholarly journals and popular magazines; covers 1986-Present, with some fulltext coverage starting in the early 1990s.|
- See our online list of Journals the Library Has
- EZRA, the library catalog: EZRA
- At other Ohio academic libraries:
- OhioLINK Central Catalog (Note: you cannot usually get periodicals through OhioLINK)
Compiled by Ken Irwin, email@example.com.