EAST ASIAN STUDIES 400
A Selected List of Sources for Research
Fall Semester 2012
Go to the Wittenberg East Asian Studies Web Page
Return to the Thomas Library Main page
I. General Online Reference Sources
Credo Reference Online - source of basic background information - an academic Wikipedia
Oxford Art Online - Online art encyclopedia - includes "Grove Dictionary of Art"
Oxford Music Online - Online Reference articles on music and musicians - includes "Grove Dictionary of Music"
Oxford Reference Online - search well-known and trusted dictionaries, encyclopedias, reference books in a single database
III. Library Catalogs
** Interlibrary Loan form for books not owned by Wittenberg or OhioLINK.
China Statistical Information Network - Statistics, in English, from the Chinese government
Nations of the World - From the Library of Congress, this site provides links to sources of data, government, and legal information.
Statistics Bureau, Japanese Ministry of Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts,and Telecommunications.
- Includes statistics on everything from population, labor force, and family income, to a survey on time use and leisure activities.
University of Michigan Documents Center - U.S. Statistical Resources on the Web.
V. Online Indexes to Newspaper and Journal Articles
- ArticlesFirst - database recommended by Dr. Choy - searches articles across many disciplines
- Bibliography of Asian Studies - Covers 1971 to date. No full text - you will need to place Interlibrary Loan requests.
- China/Asia on Demand - Chinese language arts & humanities journals (we don't have access to everything in this database)
- Historical Abstracts - Covers world history (excluding the United States and Canada)
- JSTOR - archive of scholarly journal articles. Depending on publisher agreements, the most recent 1-5 years may not be included.
- Tokio Times Index (Jan 1877 - Jun 1880) - Index to Tokio Times for issues held on microfilm at Wittenberg.
- New York Times - Historical - Searchable full text of the New York Times back to its beginning in 1851 up through 2001.
Academic Search Complete - source for articles on current events.
Art Full Text
Business Source Premier - Includes full text of articles on management and business.
EconLit - Basic index to journal articles on economics
Professional Development Collection - Index, abstracts, and full text for professional educators.
Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals
Lexis-Nexis - Extensive, multifaceted database - contains lots of international news sources and some country data.
MasterFile Premier - searches popular sources like U.S. magazines.
MLA Bibliography - Searches academic articles about language and literature.
PAIS (Public Affairs Information Service) - Indexes articles and government documents on public policy (stopped updating in 2011).
ATLA Religion Database - 1949 to present.
SocINDEX - Basic index for sociology
Sociological Collection - Another index for sociology
World News Connection - Was FBIS: Foreign Broadcast Information Service.
or: Go to the complete list of databases to which Wittenberg subscribes.
V. Some Online News Sources:
People's Daily Online - Major Chinese newspaper in English. Witt also subscribes to the
Chinese-language, paper version.
Sina - Good source for Chinese news.
Asahi Shimbun - Major Japanese newspaper.
Korea Times - Newspaper.
News and Newspapers Online - Provides links to newspapers from all over the world.
VI. Locating Journals
At Wittenberg Journals the Library Has
At other Ohio academic libraries and beyond:
You cannot request articles via OhioLINK; use Interlibrary Loan instead.
VII. Internet Search Engines
Yahoo Metacrawler Google Scholar -
Provides references to scholarly articles. Finding the actual article may be difficult and costly. Also, journal coverage is incomplete and not current. Subscription databases are almost always better.
VIII. Web Sites on Specific Topics and Issues - Compiled by Associate Professor and Librarian Emeritus, Gina Entorf.
IX. Chicago Manual of Style (Turabian)
X. People Resources:
For a quick question or to set up a Personal Research Consultation, contact Kristen Peters, who is library liaison with Languages and Sociology.
Or, contact the reference desk for walk-in assistance.
Compiled by Regina Entorf, Wittenberg University Library
Last updated 9-24-2012 (KGP)
2012 Wittenberg University