Selected Resources for Biology 214W
Library of Congress Subject Headings.
28th ed., 5 vols., 2005.
Kept on the long table by the main bank of EZRA/Web terminals.
Subject headings will be similar to, but may be different from those used in periodical indexes.
Locating Books in Library Catalogs
Books on Scientific Writing and Presentations
- Scientific Writing: Easy When You Know How by Jennifer Peat et. al.
- Link to electronic book
- The Craft of Scientific Writing by Michael Alley
- T11 .A37 1996
- Scientific Papers and Presentations by Martha Davis
- T11 .D324 1997
- The Art of Scientific Writing by Hans Friedrich Ebel
- QD9.15 .E23 2004
- 90 Days to Success in Grant Writing by Timothy Kachinske and Judith Kachinske
- Electronic Book
Below is a select list of books relating to general Biology and Human Development. These books can be found in the science and main libraries as noted.
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (20 volumes)
- Reference Q121 .M3 1997 (8th edition)
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms
- Reference Q123 .M15 2003 (6th edition)
- Main Stacks Q123 .M34 1993 (5th edition)
- A Dictionary of Biology
- Reference QH302.5 .D54 2008
- Encyclopedia of Genetics (2 volumes)
- Reference QH427 .E53 1999
- Encyclopedia of Genetics, Genomics, Proteomics and Informatics
- Available Online
- Developmental Biology Protocols (3 volumes)
- QH491 .D4625 2000
Also Available Online
- Current Protocols in Molecular Biology (5 volumes)
- Reference QH506 .C87 1998
- Encyclopedia of Molecular Biology(4 volumes)
- Reference QH506 .E53 1999
- Current Protocols in Cytometry(2 columes)
- Main Oversize QH585 .C87 2002
- Current Topics in Developmental Biology
- Main Stacks QL951 . C8
- Encyclopedia of Human Biology (9 volumes)
- Reference QP11 .E53 1997 (2nd edition)
- The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Human Growth and Development
- Main Stacks QP84 .C26 1998
- American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary
- Reference R121 .A53 2004 (2nd edition)
- Dictionary of Medicine
- Reference R121 .D53 1998
- Main Stacks R121 .D53 1998 c.2
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy
- Reference Desk RC55 .M4
- Main Stacks RC55 .M4
- BIOSIS Previews/Biological Abstracts
- Biological Abstracts indexes articles from all fields of Biology. Coverage includes 1980 to the present.
- Index to clinical medicine, nursing, veterinary and allied health literature. Some fulltext is available. PubMed provides another interface to MEDLINE and other resources. PubMed is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine that includes over 17 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals for biomedical articles back to the 1950s. PubMed includes links to full text articles and other related resources.
- Science Citation Index (Web of Knowledge)
- Index and cited references for articles in the sciences. If you have an article that is a few years old or older and you want to know who has cited it, this is the place to look.
- Electronic Journal Center (EJC)
- The EJC is a full-text collection of journals provided through OhioLINK.
- Academic Search Complete
- Academic Search Complete is a multi-subject database containing both scholarly and popular publications. Some material is available in full-text. It is a good starting place for introductory level classes.
A full list of all the indexes available at Wittenberg can be found at:
Periodicals are where most of the information for your research papers will come. Remember that there are scholarly publications as well as popular publications You will most likely want to stick to scholarly publications for your research. For hints on how to tell the two apart, please see Scholarly vs. Popular Articles.
Wittenberg owns many scientific journals in both print and electronic formats. The links below will help you to find out what journals we own, the format, and where they are located.
Journals the Library Has
This is a searchable index of the periodicals Wittenberg owns in electronic and print formats. Location and dates owned are also provided.
Journal Interlibrary Loan Form
Use Interlibrary Loan to request articles not owned at Wittenberg from other libraries. Please see the form for more details.
Suggested Periodicals in Developmental Biology
- Current Opinion in Genetics & Development
- Electronic Journal Center (1995 - present)
- Development (Was Journal of Embryology and Experimental Morphology from 1953 to 1986)
- Online from Publisher (1953 - 6 months ago)
- Developmental Biology
- Thomas Library Storage (1959 - 2004)
- Electronic Journal Center (1993 - Present)
- Developmental Cell
- Electronic Journal Center (2003 - Present)
- Developmental Dynamics
- Electronic Journal Center (1997 - Present)
- Evolution & Development
- Academic Search Complete (July 1999 - 1 year ago)
- Electronic Journal Center (2000 - Present)
- Mechanisms of Development
- Mechanisms of Development (1995 - Present)
If you are having trouble with your research, please contact Alisa Mizikar, the Science Librarian, via email at email@example.com or call 937-327-7515. You can also contact any of the reference librarians at firstname.lastname@example.org or 937-327-7511.
Compiled by Alisa Mizikar.