Policy for Club Sports
PROCEDURES FOR RECOGNITION AS A CLUB SPORT
Student Government Requirements:
• Develop a constitution and bylaws for the club
• Select officers and adviser
• Present constitution, bylaws, and names of officers and adviser to Student Senate
• Request approval of constitution and bylaws and recognition as a club
Committee on Athletic Policy and Recreation Requirements:
• Submit constitution, bylaws and statement of recognition from Student Senate to Chairperson of Committee for review and approval.
• The following information should be provided along with the constitution:
- Proposed schedule of games (home/away)
- Expected space/equipment needs
- Proposed practice - schedule and needs for space
- Evidence that the guidelines will be followed
Following the approval of the Committee on Athletic Policy and Recreation, the request will be submitted to the Provost for final review and approval.
A. The club must obtain an adviser, who will also serve as coach. The adviser/coach must be knowledgeable in the sport or activity.
• The adviser/coach will meet with club officers on a regular basis and directly supervise all club activities.
• The adviser/coach will submit team rosters and a schedule of games to the Intramural-Recreation Director at the beginning of the season and update as necessary.
• The adviser/coach will meet with the Intramural-Recreation Director at the beginning of each academic year to guarantee compliance with guidelines.
B. A person with first aid training must be available for all practices and games.
C. Qualified referees will be hired for all games.
D. Games will be scheduled with competitors of similar ability.
E. Club Sports must follow guidelines established by state or national associations.
F. The officers must file reports of club activities at the end of each season with the Intramural-Recreation Director for review by the committee on Athletic Policy and Recreation.
SPACE ALLOCATION-FACILITY USE
Requests for the use of facilities will be submitted by the adviser/coach to the coordinator of facilities. Facilities will be provided according to established priorities:
• HPE courses, intercollegiate athletics, intramurals and recreation will have higher priority than Club Sports.
• Club Sports access to University fields may be restricted to a single season due to space/facility limitations.
The university does not fund club sports. Therefore, it is expected clubs will be self-supporting. Potential sources of funding are Student Senate and dues.
• Restricted to enrolled students, alumni, faculty and staff of Wittenberg University
• Alumni, staff and faculty are subject to the same guidelines as enrolled students and may not, collectively, account for greater that ten percent of a club's membership in any given season.
• The university assumes no liability for participants in Club Sports.
• Members of Club Sports teams must sign liability release forms. Those fewer than eighteen must have release forms signed by parent or guardian, and release forms will be filed with Dean of Students, with copiers to adviser, officers, Health Center, and Business Office. An individual's release form must be on file before the club member will be allowed to participate in games or practices.
• Members of Club Sports teams must provide proof of medical insurance coverage.
USE OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
Club Members must be mindful that University policy prohibits the consumption of alcohol during all phases of club sports teams, and that serving intoxicating beverages at University-approved activities is prohibited, except where authorized by the office of the Dean of Students.
Club Sports members are expected to function in a mature and responsible manner, on and off campus, at all club-related activities in accordance with University policy and expectations as stated in the Student Handbook. Failure to meet these expectations may result in withdrawal of club recognition and in disciplinary action of individual members.
The Intramural-Recreation Director will review Club Sports policies with each adviser/coach at the beginning of each academic year.