How to Avoid Telephone Harassment
DON'T BE A VICTIM OF TELEPHONE HARASSMENT! FOLLOW THESE TIPS AND TECHNIQUES WHEN USING THE TELEPHONE:
- If the caller is silent or offensive - hang up!
- If you don't recognize the caller's voice, ask for their name.
- Keep a written record of harassing calls.
- Don't give your number to strangers.
- If callers ask, "Who is this? What number have I reached?" ask them "Whom do you want? What number were you calling?"
If A Caller Makes A Threat Against You, Your Property, Or Someone You Know: Call Campus Police/Security at 327-6231
If you should become the victim of malicious calls and the calls are repetitive or of an obscene or threatening nature, you should contact Campus Police/Security. In addition the following tips may be of help to you:
- Keep a written record of the calls - this information would be critical for prosecution.
- Notify anyone else who may answer your telephone of the problem.
- Avoid mentioning the calls to casual friends or in a public place.
- Get a new phone number or change to an unlisted telephone number.
- Install a device to help identify where the calls originate.
- Use your answering machine to screen calls.
Back to Personal Safety Tips