Faculty Recruitment Guidelines & Forms
What Not To Ask During an Interview
Federal laws preclude an interviewer from directly or indirectly asking a candidate certain questions. Rule of thumb - if it doesn't pertain to the position...don't ask!!! The following is a list of topics that you cannot ask about :
- Race, religion, color, sex, national origin
- Height and weight
- Marital status
- Children and childcare arrangements
- Type of military discharge
- Economic status
- Medical condition
- Physical or mental disability
- English language skill
For example, don't ask the following:
- What church do you belong to?
- Do you have any children?
- What does your spouse do?
- How do you handle daycare arrangements?
- Are you African-American, Hispanic, Jewish, etc.?
- Have your ever been treated for drug addiction or alcoholism?
Revised: October 9, 2003