Students selected will evidence
- eagerness to learn and academic preparation
- willingness to take responsibility for their own learning and for that of others
- ability to cooperate with others
- emotional stability and maturity
The complete application package is due not later than January 30, 2012, and should be sent to the Office of International Education, Hollenbeck Hall 126, P.O. Box 720, Wittenberg University, Springfield OH 45501. Early applications are encouraged; admission wil be on a rolling basis; late applications may be accepted, circumstances permitting.
The Application materials and Timeline below are for Summer 2010 and will be updated as University guidelines and program approvals are granted in fall 2011.
Summer Abroad Admission Form (three pages)
- Letters of recommendation (two) should be requested from the faculty member at Wittenberg (or your home institution) who best knows you as a student and as a person (this will often be your academic advisor), and from another faculty or staff member who knows you well outside the classroom.
- Non-refundable $500 deposit
- Deposit checks will be held until students’ applications are reviewed, and will be returned to students who are not selected.
- Essay (one to two pages) addressing the selection criteria and the following three questions is required: What benefits do you expect to gain from this program? What do you bring to this program? What special programming will you request (, e.g., credit for BUSN 250, pre-health focus, etc.)? Your essay should be thoughtful, reflect your performance standards, and typed.
- Student Conduct Agreement
- Waiver/Release signed by parents or guardian(s)
- For non-Wittenberg students only - Summer Session Application for Transient Students, $40 admission fee and $540 additional tuition
- Non-refundable $500 deposit, $40 Admission fee and $540 non-Wittenberg student tuition checks will be held until applications are reviewed, and will be returned to students who are not selected.
- Scholarship Form for Wittenberg Students. Must be turned in no later than January 30th. Late applications not accepted. Scholarships will be granted based on financial need; awards will be within the range of 5-20% of the trip cost. Scholarship money will be deposited into student accounts during the summer session
Timeline for 2010 Program:
- Apply now through January 30th; complete application packet must be received by this date
- February 6th -- notification of acceptance to program
- February 15th - last date to apply for passport, book international travel
- Thursdays, February 9th, March 1st, April 5th & April 26th, 11:20-12:20 – four 1-hour orientation meetings(alternative days & times may be set)
- April 25th (Wednesday) - - last date to provide evidence of travel arrangements to China, and submit visa application, visa fee and passport
- May 20th (Sunday) – depart US for China via Detroit on Delta 189, arriving PEK at 9:05 pm on Monday, May 21st (1 additional night stay in Beijing required) OR
- May 21st (Monday) -- depart via Chincago on United/Continental 851, arriving PEK at 3:25pm OR depart via Dulles on United 387, arriving PEK 2:30pm on Tuesday, May 22nd
- All participants must arrive in Beijing not later than mid-afternoon on Tuesday May 22nd
- On the Silk Road through June 20th (Wednesday)