Noyce-funded local internship experiences through the Susan Hirt Hagen Center for Civic and Urban Engagement are available for students who are completing their freshmen or sophomore year, and ...
- expect to major in Middle Childhood Education with either a Math and/or Science concentrate OR
- expect to major in a STEM field (Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Math or Physics) AND
- have an interest in teaching.
Internship Experience at Pacific Northwest National Laboratories (PNNL) - Richland, Washington
Application Due November 14, 2014!
Scholars that attended PNNL in 2014: Emily Bast (2015), Sarah Cummings (2015), Mary Ann White (2015), Russell Wlliams (2016)
Quotes from Scholars:
Emily Bast '15 (Mathematics)
"This internship helped me see the value in giving kids authentic experiences in the classroom--having them pose questions and find the answers, having them do hands on projects, and teaching and encouraging them to be self-motivated. These are the kinds of skills that students will need regardless of what path they choose to take in life. While it is important to prepare students to past tests, we must also realize that our job is so much bigger than that."
|Kim Lykens, a 2012 summer Intern at PNNL in Richmond, Washington, poses by their sign.||Summer 2013 Interns (left to right): Katy Williams, Skylar Folkens, Hannah Fournier, Rachel Evans, Makenzie Daniels.|
- 8-10 weeks in length (June and July)
- Paid internship (housing) plus travel expenses to and from WA included
- Available to students at the end of their sophomore and junior year
- Avetec, a leader in simulation, modeling, and high-performance computing applications, arranges STEM internships for Noyce Scholars at PNNL. The students are assigned to a STEM research project related to their major field of study and produce a research report on their topic.The PNNL experience will challenge the students to engage in inquiry-, problem-, and project-based learning and then apply their learning both in the research area and in pedagogy, allowing them to accelerate their subject matter mastery and their teaching skills.
- Information sessions held fall and spring semester will offer applications due late Fall Semester each year. PNNL Interns for the summer of 2013 had a great time: newly chosen were Makenzie Daniels, Skylar Folkens & Hannah Fournier; they were joined by 2012-13 Noyce Scholars Rachel Evans and Katy Williams.
- PNNL Application at this link. Complete and return as per instructions.
Local Internships in Informal Educational Settings