Wittenberg will be again sponsoring a teaching summer in Shanghai at Yew Wah International School. This is not a study abroad and tourism summer -- this is real work and real service with kids, teachers, and administrators who want your expertise. China has a rich history and proud culture with a great mix of wealth and sophistication along with rural simplicity, and you'll see a little bit of it all. You can apply for internship credit through Education or English if you desire academic credits.
Comments from last year's participants:
- "I never worked so hard, but experienced so much".
- "Those kids are so sweet"
- "We bonded as a team -- we had to help each other"
- "You've got to love rice"
- "The school gave us a lot of responsibility. We are proud of what we accomplished."
Information Sessions are scheduled on November 30th and January 12 at 4pm in Hollenbeck 101
Applications are due by February 1st, 2012
General eligibility preferences and requirements:
- Preferred: Current sophomores and juniors get application priority
- Required: Must have 3.25 GPA or higher
- Required: Very good English skills in reading, writing, speaking, grammar
- Preferred: Applicants possessing one or more of the following skills or background are very valuable to the program :
- formal education coursework
- camp counseling experience
Contact Tom Kaiser for details -- the list below will be updated frequently based on internship availabliity. Approved internships will be supported with funds from the East Asian Institute.
Japan: tour guide
Japan: earthquake relief
Germany: various business internships
Ohio: Department of Commerce
Ohio: Honda supplier
Washington DC: various international business internships
Service Abroad in Shanghai and Kunming China - June 14 - August 9
Hong Kong Study Abroad: International Business -- May 16- June 13
Internship with US Chamber of Commerce -- May 16- July 8