Vehicle Protection Tips
PROTECT YOU CAR BY USING COMMON SENSE AND TAKING PRECAUTIONS. FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE GUIDELINES TO REDUCE THE CHANCE OF YOUR CAR BEING BURGLARIZED.
- Avoid parking near dumpsters or vans.
- Don't hitchhike or pick up strangers.
- Keep your car in good running condition.
- Keep the keys to your home and car separate.
- Never leave your keys in the car or ignition.
- Park in busy, visible, well-lit areas near other cars.
- Lock and close doors and windows when exiting the car.
- Carry a cell phone to call for help in case of an emergency.
- Never leave valuables in plain view, even if the car is locked.
- Look around your car and in the back seat before you get in.
- Approach your car with the key in hand. Look around and inside the car before getting in.
- If you think someone is following you, drive to the nearest police or fire station to get help.
- Purchase a stereo with a removable face, and take it with you when you leave the car.
- Check to make sure you have enough gas to get you where you are going and back before you start your trip.
- Even if you're rushed, look around before you get out and stay alert to the surroundings
- Keep your doors locked and windows rolled up (at least part-way, if it's hot and you don't have air conditioning), no matter how short the distance or how safe the neighborhood.
- When you're coming to a stop, leave enough room to maneuver around other cars, especially if you sense trouble and need to get away.