IF YOU OPEN AN ENVELOPE OR PARCEL AND ENCOUNTER AN UNIDENTIFIED SUBSTANCE.
- Do not touch, smell, taste or try to analyze the substance.
- Do not attempt to clean up the substance.
- Do not tamper with it.
- Do not move it.
- Carefully place the item down and step away.
- Remain in the immediate area to minimize the spread of the substance.
- Alert others to keep away from your area.
- Turn off any circulating fans, air conditioners or heaters.
- Call the Wittenberg Police and Security Department at (937) 327-6231 immediately and state your name, location and area involved.
- Do not panic, remain calm.
- Wait for trained emergency personnel to arrive. It is important to contain exposure to the substance. Move away from the package but remain in the general vicinity so that you do not expose others to the substance.
- Anytime you receive a suspicious package, contact the University Police and notify your supervisor. Avoid unnecessary movement of the package.
IDENTIFYING SUSPECT MAIL OR PARCELS
- Items that are rigid or bulky.
- Items with a strange odor, stains, discoloration, leaking product (powder, oil, etc)
- Protruding wires.
- Excessive tape.