If you receive a BOMB THREAT BY PHONE:
- The bomb threat caller is the best source of information about the bomb. It is important that you WRITE down information, ASK the caller questions, LISTEN for information and CALL Wittenberg Police.
- If you have received a harassing or vicious voice message, please DO NOT DELETE the message.
- Assume the threat is real.
- Remain calm.
WRITE down information:
- Write down as much of what the caller says as possible.
- Write down the time of the call
ASK the caller questions:
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where is the bomb?
- What does it look like?
- Where are you calling from?
- Ask the caller to repeat the message.
- Tell the caller that the building is occupied and the detonation of the bomb could result in death or serious injury to many innocent people.
LISTEN for information about the caller and the location of the caller.
- Is the caller male or female?
- How old do you think the caller sounds?
- Does the caller have an accent?
- What is the tone of the caller’s voice…angry, excited, calm etc?
- Do you hear background noises such as motors running, music playing etc?
- Does the voice sound familiar?
- Any other voice characteristics?
- Does the caller sound familiar with the facility?
CALL campus police
- Immediately after the caller hangs up, report the threat to the Wittenberg Police and Security Department at (937) 327-6363. In the event you cannot recall the number please call Springfield Police at 911.
- Remain available as law enforcement/emergency personnel arrive. Emergency personnel will want to interview you.
If you receive a BOMB Threat by mail or E-mail:
- If a written threat is received by U.S. or Campus mail; save all materials, including envelopes or containers. Unnecessary handling should be avoided. Every possible effort must be made to retain evidence such as fingerprints, handwriting or typewriting, paper and postal marks. These will prove essential in tracing the threat and identifying the writer.
- If a written threat is received by e-mail, do not delete the e-mail. Forward a copy of the e-mail to the Chief of Police (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Notify your supervisor and the Wittenberg Police and Security Department immediately.
- Remain available as emergency personnel will want to interview you.
IN THE EVENT EVACUTATION IS NECESSARY PLEASE EXIT THE BUILDING AT THE NEAREST EXIT. INFORM ANYONE NEARBY AND ASK THAT THEY LEAVE THE BUILDING. REMAIN CALM.