FERPA tutorial 5
To avoid violations of FERPA rules, DO NOT:
- ever link the name of a student with that student’s social security number in any public manner
- leave graded tests in a stack for students to pick up by sorting through the papers of all students
- circulate a printed class list with student name and social security number or grades as an attendance roster
- discuss the progress of any student with anyone other than the student (including parents) without the consent of the student. The exception to this would be for officials of the university that has a “need to know” to deal with the student.
- provide anyone with lists of students enrolled in your classes for any commercial purpose
- provide anyone with student schedules or assist anyone other than university employees in finding a student on campus
- at any time use a student’s entire social security number in a public posting.