When You Have a Baby or Adopt a Child
- Once you verify your condition, advise your supervisor and set up a tentative schedule (in consultation with your physician) of when you will cease work and return to work.
- Submit a written request for maternity leave to the Director of Human Resources. Normally a staff member should make this request no later than the fourth month of pregnancy and the request should include your beginning date of employment, the expected date of delivery, and the proposed maternity leave. Administrative staff and Faculty also need to document any prior leaves.
To assure that you receive the maximum health care benefit, you need to:
A. Once a physician has verified your condition, advise The Principal Claim Center of your condition. The number is 1-800-561-4714.
B. When you handle the hospital admittance paperwork for delivery, notify Principal of your hospital stay and delivery.
- The University Health Plan offers a special enrollment period which allows you or your dependant to enroll when a person becomes your dependent through birth or adoption. Contact the Human Resources Department to make a request for enrollment. A request for enrollment must be made within 31 days after the birth or adoption day.
- Check your participation in the Health Care Reimbursement (AFLAC) and the Dependant Care Reimbursement Account. You have 60 days from the date of the birth/adoption to open an account or increase your contribution to either or both accounts.
- Review your beneficiary designations and make any changes in writing.
- Before returning to work, you are required to submit a medical release to the Human Resources Department.
- Please call the Human Resources Department (327-7517) to share the details of your new arrival. The University would like to share in the celebration! We will also need to have this information so that your personal data information sheet can be updated.
Please review the maternity leave benefit policy as described in the appropriate employee manual. It is also important to refer to your health care plan document. If you have questions or need additional information please contact the Human Resources Department at extension #7517.