The Recycling Quiz Answers
The correct answers for each of the quiz questions appears in bold.
Getting Started: The Basics
1. What are the four main categories of recyclable material in Wittenberg’s program?
2. Which of the following materials are recyclable?
|a.)||empty and clean yogurt containers|
|c.)||napkins used to soak of pop|
|e.)||newspapers, including inserts|
|g.)||empty glass bottles|
|h.)||tin cans with labels left on them|
|l.)||printer paper with a staple in it|
|p.)||plastic knives, forks, and spoons|
|q.)||empty plastic bottles with the cap included|
|r.)||junk mail including envelopes with plastic windows|
|s.)||clean aluminum foil|
|u.)||telephone and paperback books|
|x.)||post-it notes with significant ink on them|
Getting Warmed Up: Questions for the More Advanced Recycler
The questions in this section are derived from the Reasons to Recycle page.
3. Recycling has consequences for which of the following environmental issues:
|e.)||all of the above|
4. How much waste does the average American produce per day?
5. The average American produces more waste than which of the following?
|f.)||all of the above|
6. Recycling an aluminum can requires what percentage less energy than producing a new one?
7. According to the EPA, the United States saved how many gallons of oil just by recycling in the year 2000?
8. By some estimates, what percentage of the material in our landfills is either recyclable or biodegradable?
9. According to the EPA, the average household recycles what percentage of its total waste?
10. In the spring of 2008, Wittenberg recycled around what percentage of its total waste?
Burnishing your Green Credentials: Challenging Questions about Wittenberg’s Program for the Expert Recycler
The questions in this section are derived from the page How It Works page.
11. How do our housekeepers keep trash separate from recycled material?
|b.)||They use clear bags for recyclable material and opaque bags for trash|
12. How often is trash and recycling collected and removed from campus buildings?
|d.)||Trash is removed every day, but recycling is collected once or twice a week depending on the building.|
13. How is the waste from campus picked up?
|a.)||Wittenberg has its own truck with separate compartments for trash and recycling.|
14. What does MRF stand for?
|d.)||Material Reclamation Facility|
15. How many MRFs handle all the waste from the Springfield and Dayton areas?