Application for Wittenberg in China: On the Silk Road
Students selected will evidence
- eagerness to learn and academic preparation
- willingness to take responsibility for their own learning and for that of others
- ability to cooperate with others
- emotional stability and maturity
The complete application package is due not later than Friday, February 14, 2014, and should be sent to the Office of International Education, Hollenbeck Hall 126, P.O. Box 720, Wittenberg University, Springfield OH 45501. Early applications are encouraged; admission will be on a rolling basis.
The Application materials and Timeline below are subject to revision.
Summer Abroad Admission Form (three pages) plus for non-Wittenberg students only - Summer Session Application for Transient Students
- Letters of recommendation (two) should be requested from the faculty member at Wittenberg (or your home institution) who best knows you as a student and as a person (this will often be your academic advisor), and from another faculty or staff member who knows you well outside the classroom.
- Non-refundable deposit: $500 for Wittenberg students; $540 for non-Wittenberg students ($500 deposit plus $40 Summer Session Application for Transient Students fee). Deposits will be held until students’ applications are reviewed. If students are not selected, or the program is canceled the deposit will be returned.
- Essay (one to two pages) addressing the selection criteria and the following three questions is required: What benefits do you expect to gain from this program? What do you bring to this program? What special programming will you request (, e.g., credit for BUSN 250, pre-health focus, etc.)? Your essay should be thoughtful, reflect your performance standards, and typed.
- Student Conduct Agreement
- Waiver/Release signed by parents or guardian(s)
Timeline for 2014 Program:
- Apply now through February 14th; complete application packet and deposit must be received by this date
- February 20th -- notification of acceptance to program
- February 28th – last date to apply for passport
- Orientation meetings – March 6th, April 3rd and May 1st (tentative dates)
- April 16th (Wednesday) - - last date to submit visa application, visa fees and passport to directors
- May 18th – depart US for China, arriving Beijing Capital International Airport not later than mid-afternoon on Monday, May 19th
- On the Silk Road through June 18th
- Depart for US Wednesday, June 18th