Margaret S. Ermarth Award in History
An annual award to an outstanding senior history major who has demonstrated the following:
• enthusiasm for and appreciation in history involvement in the process of studying history
• involvement in the activities of the department
• potential for continuing interest in history
The award, which currently carries with it a prize of $300 and a certificate, is made in the spring at the Senior Banquet.
ATO-Paul F. Bloomhardt Prize for Excellence in History
An annual award to an outstanding junior history major who has:
• compiled a good academic record (for example, an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher and a GPA in History of 3.5 or higher)
• taken four history courses, with at least one being an upper level course
• shown evidence of a serious interest in history
• shown evidence of maturity of thought in the approach to history
The prize, currently $300, and a certificate are awarded at a spring semester History Colloquium.
Martha and Bob Hartje Award in History
An annual award to the senior whose essay is judged best among those submitted by three finalists chosen by the History Department to write a 600-800 word paper on an historical event or figure. In order to become a finalist the student must have at least a 2.7 GPA, have completed at least six history courses and have a keen interest in biographical and narrative history. The award will be approximately $500 and will be awarded at a spring semester History Colloquium.