*NOTE: The requirements listed below apply to majors who declared before September 10, 2013. New majors or those interested in declaring should contact Cynthia Richards for updated information on the new major requirements. You can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (937) 327-7053. For a .pdf describing the new major requirements, CLICK HERE.
The major in English requires 37 semester hours of work distributed as follows:
- English 180A, 190A/C, or 170H (Appropriate Honors Seminars may also be counted to fulfill this requirement)
- English 200: Introduction to Literary Studies
- English 280A: Survey of British Literature I (Medieval to 1800)
- English 290A: American Literary Traditions
- Five 300-level classes: at least one must study literature before 1900; up to two may be non-literature-based, such as 321, 322, 325, and 327.
Additional Options and Considerations
Study Abroad: Complete 200, 280, 290 before you go abroad
403: Permission-only seminar adds Creative Writing Certificate to major
490: Independent Study: Counted in the major at the discretion of advisor and chair
492: Internship: Counted toward the major only at the discretion of the advisor and chair; non-literature-based
499: Honors Thesis: Must have 3.50 GPA Overall; 4-8 credits
English Major with Honors
A student who has completed five English courses (including 200, 280, 290) and who maintains a GPA of at least 3.50 may submit an honors thesis proposal to the department for approval; if the project is approved, the student may enroll in English 499 senior year and complete supervised individual research. The completed thesis must meet departmental standards for honors. Work may be distributed over two semesters.