The major in English requires 37 semester hours of work distributed as follows:
• Four hours in English 170H, 180A, or 190A/C
• Twelve hours in English 200, English 280A, and English 290A
• Twenty hours at the 300 level: at least four of those credits must deal with literature written before 1900; no more than eight of these credits may be in courses not primarily based on analyzing literature, such as courses numbered in the 320s and 340s.
• One semester hour in English 405: Senior Exercises
• Students who complete eight credits in English 321 and/or 322 may also apply for English 403: Special Projects in Creative Writing. Successful completion of English 403 in addition to the English major will earn the student a Special Certificate in Creative Writing in addition to the English major.
English Major with Honors
A student who has completed five English courses (including 200, 280, 290) and who maintains a GPA of at least 3.50 may submit an honors thesis proposal to the department for approval; if the project is approved, the student may enroll in English 499 senior year and complete supervised individual research. The completed thesis must meet departmental standards for honors. Work may be distributed over two semesters.