Undergraduate Teacher Education Handbook
OFFICE OF TEACHER LICENSURE AND PLACEMENT SERVICES
- Listing of Vacancies
- Access to Credential File & Other Student Records
- Policy on Sending Credentials
Wittenberg's Office of Teacher Licensure and Placement Services, located in the Education Department, processes applications for licensure and assists candidates in securing employment.
The Teacher Placement Office maintains credentials for all teacher candidates. Candidates should establish a credential file during the Fall Semester of their senior year. Credentials consist of:
- A resume of personal information, educational training and experience, and special abilities.
- Statements of reference completed by at least three individuals or faculty members requested by the candidate.
- Evaluations of student teaching experiences as completed both by the university supervisor and the cooperating teacher.
Candidates must attend a scheduled meeting Fall Semester of their senior year to receive materials and instructions for preparing their credential file.
As part of its service, the Teacher Placement Office makes available letters received from school districts indicating vacancies. Job postings are also distributed by way of E-mail, newsletters, phone calls, etc.
The Teacher Placement Office makes arrangements for school systems to visit Wittenberg to interview teacher candidates. Appointments with visiting school representatives are made through the Placement Office in the Education Department. The Teacher Placement Office occasionally offers mock interviews as "practice" – see the Director of Student Teaching and Teacher Placement.
The Teacher Placement Office provides assistance to candidates to help them prepare effective resumes and cover letters. Sample resumes and cover letters are made available for candidates' use in the Teacher Placement Office.
Any letters of recommendation or reference written for admission to graduate school, employment, or other purposes (after January 1, 1975) are available for inspection by the candidate concerned unless the candidate has signed a waiver to inspect such records. Access to placement files and other candidate records are governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. (See Appendix F for a more detailed description of the Act.)
- Candidate credential files will be sent to the school districts, at no charge to the candidate, when school districts contact us to request the file. There is no limit and no charge for sending files when school districts request to have them sent. (Be sure to indicate that your credential file is available from us and give the telephone number/email address of our Teacher Placement Office.)
- In addition, senior teacher education students will be allowed ten free requests for having credential files sent out. After ten files have been sent for a student, the charge will be $2.00 per request. (Requests should be made through the Teacher Placement Office and accompanied with a check payable to Wittenberg University.)
- Unless there are special circumstances, credential files will not be sent to prospective employers until the evaluations for student teaching have been entered into the file. (The student teaching evaluation is an essential part of the file; most employers do not want your file until it is complete.)