A century old City Hall and Marketplace, The Heritage Center of Clark County, has become the new home for Clark County/Springfield's heritage. The Center is located a few blocks south of campus at 117 S. Fountain Avenue, (937) 324-0657.
Built in 1802, the Historic Clifton Mill is one of the largest water powered grist mills still in existence. The Millrace Restaurant is there to serve you a truly home cooked breakfast and lunch. Their pancake and cornbread mix are made in the mill. A holiday tradition at the Mill for over 10 years is one of the country's finest light displays with over 3.2 million lights illuminating the mill, the gorge, and grounds to create a winter wonderland. Clifton Mill is located 20 minutes south of campus at 75 Water Street in Clifton, Ohio, (937) 767-5501.
The Daniel Hertzler House is located at 930 S. Tecumseh Road in George Rogers Clark Park, west of Springfield. Built in 1854, it is a Pennsylvania Bank style home furnished in the 1850's period. The interior design follows the pre-Civil War Period. Open by appointment, for group tours April through October. Call the Clark County Park District at (937) 882-6000 to make an appointment.
The Frank Lloyd Wright Museum is located at 1340 E. High Street. Frank Lloyd Wright was considered one of the world's most significant architects in the modern architectural era. The Burton Westcott House built around 1904, has undergone a $4 million renovation, returning the crumbling structure to its original grandeur. Museum hours are Wednesday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, 1-5 p.m., (937) 327-9291.
MaDonna of the Trail Monument is located at Snyder Park at State Route 40. It dedicated to pioneer women and marks the point at which the Old National Road was completed in 1838.
The Piatt (Mac-O-Chee and Mac-A-Cheek) Castles are two 19th century homes owned by brothers. The castles have limestone exteriors, wooden interiors, and elaborate furnishings. They are located at 10051 Township Road 47 in West Liberty, Ohio, (937) 465-2821.
The Richards, Raff & Dunbar Memorial Home, located at 838 E. High Street, was originally constructed as the personal home of the two-term Ohio Governor Asa S. Bushnell. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Free tours by appointment only may be arranged by calling Anne Guyton-Dunbar at (937) 325-1564.
Saint Raphael Church, located at 225 E. High Street, was founded in 1849, built in modified Gothic style, and is the pioneer parish of Springfield and Clark County. (937) 323-7523
Visitors can tour late 19th century homes, underground railroad sites, and many other historical sites in Clark County. For information visit the Springfield Area Convention and Visitor's Bureau or call (937) 325-7621.